COVID-19 BULLETIN #470
Province of Manitoba Media Bulletin
June 23, 2021
Public health officials advise three new deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today:
• a male in his 60s from the Southern Health-Santé Sud linked to the B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant of concern;
• a male in his 60s from the Winnipeg health region linked to the B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant of concern; and
• a male in his 70s from the Winnipeg health region linked to the B.1.1.7 (alpha) variant of concern.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 7.1 per cent provincially and 6.6 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 123 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, one case has been removed due to data correction. This brings the net-new number of cases today to 122 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 55,589.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 12 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
• 22 cases in the Northern health region;
• nine cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 16 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
• 64 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
· 1,789 active cases and 52,668 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
· 222 Manitobans hospitalized with COVID-19 in Manitoba and neighbouring provinces, including:
o 121 people in hospital in Manitoba with active COVID-19 as well as 88 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious, amounting to a total of 209 hospitalizations;
· a total of 70 Manitoba patients receiving intensive care for COVID-19 including:
o 34 people in intensive care units in Manitoba with active COVID-19 as well as 23 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care, amounting to a total of 57 ICU patients in Manitoba; and
o 13 Manitoba patients in intensive care units outside the province, with 12 in Ontario and one in Alberta;
· 34 patients previously receiving care in an out-of-province ICU have now been returned to Manitoba hospitals for further care; and
o no COVID-19 patients were transported out of province for care yesterday.
· 2,013 laboratory tests were completed yesterday, bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 819,809; and
· the total number of deaths in people with COVID-19 is 1,132.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
The outbreak has been declared over at the Beacon Hill Personal Care Home in Winnipeg.
Additional data on variants of concern is updated from Tuesday to Saturday at: https://geoportal.gov.mb.ca/. Data related to COVID-19, outbreaks and some downloadable and historic data can also be found at this site.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, including the online screening tool, testing criteria and locations, self-isolation requirements, public health fundamentals and the provincial response level on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit: www.manitoba.ca/COVID19.
- 30 -