COVID-19 BULLETIN #314
Province of Manitoba Media Bulletin
January 14, 2021
Public health officials advise two additional deaths in people with COVID-19 have been reported today including:
· a male in his 60 from the Winnipeg health region; and
· a male in his 90s from Prairie Mountain Health region and linked to the outbreak at the McCreary/Alonsa Health Centre.
The current five-day COVID-19 test positivity rate is 10 per cent provincially and 7.1 per cent in Winnipeg. As of 9:30 a.m. today, 261 new cases of the virus have been identified. However, two cases were removed due to data correction and brings to net new cases to 259 and the total number of lab-confirmed cases in Manitoba to 26,954.
Today’s COVID-19 data shows:
• 11 cases in the Interlake-Eastern health region;
• 139 cases in the Northern health region;
• 23 cases in the Prairie Mountain Health region;
• 13 cases in the Southern Health-Santé Sud health region; and
• 75 cases in the Winnipeg health region.
The data also shows:
• 2,866 active cases and 23,313 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19;
• there are 117 people in hospital with active COVID-19 as well as 173 people in hospital with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require care, for a total of 290 hospitalizations;
• there are 16 people in intensive care units with active COVID-19 as well as 21 people with COVID-19 who are no longer infectious but continue to require critical care for a total of 37 ICU patients; and
• the total number of deaths due to COVID-19 is 755.
Laboratory testing numbers show 2,333 tests were completed yesterday bringing the total number of lab tests completed since early February 2020 to 446,018. Case investigations continue and if a public health risk is identified, the public will be notified.
An outbreak has been declared at Rock Lake Hospital in Crystal City. The site has been moved to Restricted (red) on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System.
The outbreak is declared over at Gilbert Plains Personal Care Home in Gilbert Plains.
Possible exposure locations are listed online by region at the province’s #RestartMB Pandemic Response System webpage. For up-to-date information on possible public exposures to COVID-19 in regions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/flights.html#event and click on your region.
Additional data related to COVID-19, including data on outbreaks as well as some downloadable and historic data, can be found at https://manitoba.ca/openmb/datamb/.
The chief provincial public health officer reminds Manitobans to self-isolate immediately at the onset of possible COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild. This means staying home from work, school or other daily activities. Testing should be done as soon as possible once symptoms appear. For information on COVID-19 symptoms and guidance on when you should get tested, visit https://manitoba.ca/covid19/fundamentals/symptoms.html.
Manitobans should only leave their homes for essential purposes. When leaving the house to obtain essentials, be sure to physically distance, wear a mask in indoor public places and avoid crowded spaces. Do not leave the home if you are sick, or when any member of your family is sick. Further, do not socialize with anyone from outside your household.
Manitobans are reminded that other provinces have enacted restrictions to reduce the spread of COVID-19. If you have to travel, be sure to check for any restrictions at your destination and follow self-isolation rules when you return.
Public health officials are also advising that if anyone is symptomatic, or has a household member who is symptomatic, the entire household needs to self-isolate pending COVID-19 test results. For health-care workers, exceptions may apply and staff may be able/required to report to work after contacting their workplace occupational health services or designate. For information on self-isolation, including exceptions, visit www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/fundamentals/self-isolation.html.
The online COVID-19 self-assessment tool can be found at https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/screening-tool/ and COVID-19 symptoms can be found at https://manitoba.ca/covid19/fundamentals/symptoms.html.
For up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Manitoba, visit www.manitoba.ca/COVID19. For up-to-date information on the #RestartMB Pandemic Response System, visit: https://manitoba.ca/covid19/restartmb/prs/index.html.
- 30 -